News In Focus
Society confirms Pursuers’ Panel appointments
The Law Society of Scotland’s Insurance Committee has confirmed the appointment of six solicitors to serve on the Society's Pursuers’ Panel for the five years from 1 November 2008.
The Pursuer’s Panel assists members of the public with advice about negligence claims against solicitors and, where appropriate, solicitors already advising members of the public in connection with the handling of such claims.
The six who will serve a further term are:
- Stephen Blane, A & W M Urquhart, 16 Heriot Row, Edinburgh;
- Terry Brennan, Russells Gibson McCaffrey, 13 Bath Street, Glasgow;
- Tim Edward, Maclay Murray & Spens, Quartermile One, 15 Lauriston Place, Edinburgh;
- Lyall Moodie, John Henderson & Sons, 8 Bank Street, Dumfries;
- Iain Nicol, Nicol & Co, 8 Grampian Court, Beveridge Square, Livingston;
- Fiona M Stephen, Anderson Strathern, 1 Rutland Court, Edinburgh.
Each member of the panel is available to deal with negligence claims against other solicitors on an individual basis. However, where a claimant is already represented by a solicitor in relation to a negligence claim against another solicitor, members of the panel will not provide advice to or act for that claimant, unless the existing solicitor refers the matter to a member of the panel.
The Society emphasises that members of the panel are content to receive referrals from other solicitors, either to handle the whole claim, or to assist with advice in relation to any aspect of a claim.