News In Focus
Society backs proposal to support armed forces
Armed Forces Legal Action (AFLA) is a new nationwide scheme, established within the legal profession, calling upon lawyers across the UK to support members of the armed forces.
The steering group is trying to assess interest in the scheme, which is planned to launch on Armed Forces Day 2014, from law firms across the UK.
Firms are being invited to offer a discount of one third of fees to:
- Serving Armed Forces personnel (regular and reserve)
- Those who left the Service within the previous two years
- Those who have sustained serious combat injuries
- Recipients of the Victoria Cross and the George Cross
- Bereaved next of kin recipients of the Elizabeth Cross
The AFLA project team, led by serving officer and solicitor Allan Steele, is canvassing interest and support. Membership of the scheme will be gained by law firms entering into a memorandum of agreement where they undertake to offer the discount to the above groups.
Benefits for firms include:
- The opportunity to attract new clients or develop a new client base
- Free and simple to join - no fixed term of commitment
- Benefit from free publicity across a range of military publications and social media
- Free advertising on the AFLA website and AFLA social media
- Access to logos and materials to help promote AFLA locally
- The opportunity to engage with your local community
Benefits for supporting bodies (Law Societies, Faculties, Local Groups, etc):
- Significant opportunity for on-going and annual (Armed Forces Day) positive publicity
- Raising morale by supporting your members with Armed Forces connections
- An opportunity to join a scheme that has cross-party political support
- A chance to engage with an element of our society with increasing popular public support
For more information please contact Neil Stevenson at the Society. This scheme is independent of the Law Society of Scotland, and is being run by a small steering group as it seeks to gauge interest. The Society is supporting this member group in gaining feedback from the profession